Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Consistency is the key!



Consistency in jiu-jitsu is a critical part of getting better. I know sometimes it sucks to be at class, I felt that way tonight. My body hurt, I woke up from a delicious nap before, and I was starving (trying to drop weight for a comp). I also know that for most of us jiu-jitsu doesn't pay the bills, pleases the honey dips, or watches the kids. But I still understand that I made a commitment, and I also pay over $100 a month...so I have to force myself to go so my money isn't spent in vain and so I can get better. One thing you have to realize in life is that you get whatever you put into any given thing you do. If you're a jiu-jitsu hobbyist and you only come once a week...that's cool. Just know that you will have once a week jiu-jitsu. Here's another example. Imagine that you have a piggy bank. You put all your pocket change in there every time you get home...a dime here a nickel there, maybe even a buck or two. Eventually over time it fills up. You take it to the bank and they say you have $121 in there...and you say, Wow!! You can't believe your little piggy bank had that much cash in it...hell, you could take your wife to Ruth's Chris!!! Apply that same thing to your jiu-jitsu. An extra class or two a week doesn't seem like much in jiu-jitsu, but eventually it adds up. It adds up in the form of a stripe, or even a little color on your belt. It's easy to go home and watch TV, spoon with the misses, or veg the fuck out...but if you can make yourself walk through that gym door, I guarantee you will feel 100% better.