Monday, November 1, 2010

Out of curiosity?

A recent conversation that I had in the gym with Tristan the other day was pretty interesting. I was telling him how lucky he was that he started jiu-jitsu so young...along with the rest of the guys that joined with him or around the same time. I think I said something along the lines of "I am too old to be successful in jiu-jitsu"...in a national competition sense and that "by the time I hit black belt, I will be in my 30's". These guys are purple belts already, and he assured me that I would catch up to them...right, lol. I asked them to list off guys that are successful in jiu-jitsu today that started at my age. Of course no names could be named, so it prompted me to do a little research of my own. I am a very statistical/analytical thinker and from my 2 hours of research I came up with a list of "successful" BJJ practitioners and when they started jiu-jitsu. I did not mention any Gracies because I just assumed they started at age fetus. Anywho, it broke my heart. I won't give up, but the odds are not in my favor.

BJJ Heroes

1. Fabricio Werdum-15/16
2. Felipe Costa- 13
3. Braulio Estima- 16
4. Cyborg Abreu- 17
5. Leo Viera- 6
6. Demian Maia- 19
7. Cobrinha- 21 (ray of sunshine)
8. Terere- 14
9. Andre Galvao- 16
10. Vitor Ribeiro- 14
11. Ryan Hall- 19
12. Alexandre Souza- 11
13. Antonio Braga Neto- 4
14. Joel Tudor- 27 (Randon guy I really had to search for. Was a pro-surfer turned BJJ guy)
15. Comprido- 16
16. Jacare- 17
17. Mendes Brothers- 13 or so
18. Jeff Glover- 16
19. Lucas Lepri- 15
20. Fernando Pontes-13
21. Bruno Malfacine- 11
22. Caio Terra-16
23. Michael Langhi- 16
24. Rafael Lovato- 13
25. Tarsis Humphreys- 13
26. Romulo Barral- 15