Friday, November 5, 2010

Nicknames...



Lately I have had this obsession with nicknames in jiu-jitsu. Not only do I want one, I want everyone I train with to have one. Because it is cool and funny as hell when they are good. I know you're not supposed to give yourself a nickname, but what happened to this culture? Did Americans just forget about it...because most Brazilians have them. This prompted me to do a little research to find out popular competitors nicknames and their meanings. Maybe it will help me on my quest to finding perfect nicknames for my own teammates...or maybe just an interesting read for you guys.

1. Ryan "Creepy" Hall- cause he is creepy?
2. Alexandre "Pulga" Pimentel- Pulga means flea
3. Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu-was in a bad car accident and survived then won 2nd in the Brazilian Nationals.
4. Fernando "Terere" Augusto- Terere is a herb used in tea. It is dark and energetic. Racist! lol
5. Rubens Charles "Cobrinha"- little snake. He agile and flexible.
6. Jeff "The Pipe Layer" Glover-he used to be a plumber. This name is pretty homo.
7. Ricardo Almeida "Cachorrao"- means big dog. He was famous for kicking people out of the sea at his famous surfing spot.
8. Ronaldo Souza "Jacare"- he was the most prominent fighter on his team whose mascot was an alligator.
9. Marcio Cruz "Pe de Pano"- what Sugarfoot (from woody the woodpecker) is called in Brazil.
10. Fernando Pontes "Margarida"- means daisy.
11. Cole Miller "Magrinho"-skinny
12. Anderson Pereira "Deton"-a young student couldn't say Anderson so instead called him Deton.
13. Alexandre Freitas "Soca"-he was a boxer for a little while.
14. Marcos Galvao "Louro"- parrot, someone who talks a lot.
15. Vitor Ribeiro "Shaolin"- he used to sit in the Lotus Flower position and pretend he was meditating like a monk.
16. Rodrigo Medeiros "Comprido"- Long and lanky.

There are dozens more, but I really don't want to spend all day doing this. thanks for reading.