Sunday, November 7, 2010

Remarkable training day...

Like the title says today was a remarkable training day. I decided last night that I was going to do no-gi in the tournament next weekend, and even though I am not confident, I am excited for the new experience and direction I am going. Today, everyone was exceptionally helpful. Not saying they aren't usually...its just this time it was exceptional. I began my training day at 10am...it was the kid's class and it was my first day as an assistant instructor. It was pretty fun and the kids are great, although I do see how it could be a challenge in the future when our program grows. Once that class was over Michelle taught a really good side control escape that I REALLY liked. I hope to be incorporating it into my game from here on out. We then went into the no-gi portion of our class and since I am doing no-gi it only made sense for me to participate. It was awesome. Micah taught a few really good techniques that seem to naturally fit my game anyway. After class Micah set up a little takedown corner for the guys that were competing. This was fun, but I was still in no-gi attire and let me tell you my takedown game is something that needs to be worked. JB sort of noticed this and with the help of Andrew worked some takedown drills with me...it was a treat. Then came the rolling. Dave our new black belt from Tejas, rolled some no-gi with me and I learned a lot of new holds and techniques that seem to get the job done. I rolled with Jeff afterwards, and thus the mopping up continued. I thought for my relatively short time in no-gi that I didn't do half bad. Gi is definitely where I shine. I rolled a little gi afterwards and finally burned myself out working take downs again with JB...today was a good day. Got a smoothie and went home conked out. After today, I know I'm in this for the long haul.