Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Ask A Champ: Amanda Loewen



Age: 27
Belt: Black
Weight class: Light Weight
Length of training time: A little over 5 years
From: Fresno, CA
Nicknames: none
Affiliation: Straight Blast Gym International (Portland, Oregon) 
MMA Record: 2-0
Sponsors: I've got a couple Gi's from Fenom 

Major Titles: 

2014
IBJJF World Lightweight Brown Belt Silver Medalist 
IBJJF Boston Open Lightweight Brown Belt Champion
IBJJF Boston Open Absolute Brown Belt Champion

2013
IBJJF Las Vegas Open Absolute Champion 
IBJJF Las Vegas Open Lightweight Bronze Medalist
IBJJF Pan-American Lightweight Purple Belt Silver Medalist 

2011
Grapplers Quest Advanced No-Gi Champion 

At what age did you start training jiu-jitsu? 

23 I think. 

Initially, how did your friends and family react to you training? Do they support you? 

My family knew I was doing some type of wrestling, but wasn't quit sure what kind of sport I was actually doing at the time. My family has always been incredibly supportive of anything I've ever tried. Safe to say its worked out so far. My boyfriend at the time was not so stoked on me even going to 24 hour fitness, let alone wrestling on the mat with a bunch of random dudes. That didn't last long, as I fell head over heels for jiu-jitsu. 

What were some of the initial highs and lows you had when you first started training? 

I liked the feeling of getting in better shape, figuring out the puzzle that is jiu-jitsu. I was and still am always excited to step on the mat and take classes and roll. The lows I had were connected to the feeling of wanting immediate success and results. In the beginning I put a lot of pressure on myself to try and get good really fast. Or more so fighting the frustration of not understanding something quickly enough. I realize now that there is no time line, you just show up and enjoy what you're doing. This learning is for a lifetime, you shouldn't just want the next belt and then start slowing down. 

How did you manage to find Straight Blast Gym – Portland?

Well, I worked around the corner at the 'Wet Spot Tropical Fish Store' for almost three years. Everyday at lunch I would walk past the gym on my way to Trader Joe's and watch what they were doing through the giant roll up door. I thought it was karate and figured I needed to get in better shape, so 'karate' it would be. Thank God it wasn't karate, but Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. First person I talked to was a guy named Chris Stearns (who would later go on to be one of my head competition coaches and friends) He was friendly and said that we needed more women at the gym and I should come and check it out. Thats exactly what I did. I took my first class, got arm barred a lot, and immediately signed up afterwards. 

How has the SBG philosophy helped develop your game?

Since I've never trained anywhere else, I couldn't imagine not being SBG. Our coaching philosophy is something special that I don't think a lot of other gyms ever get to experience. We have aliveness. We have equality; as in I can teach not only women’s classes, kids classes, but co-ed classes. Many other women, black belt women from other gyms can only teach women and children's classes. I think that's ridiculous. We also have a time for introduction, isolation and integration periods in our classes and instruction. With these things I feel it has boosted my learning ability and helped break down the game to its finest. 

How has jiu-jitsu changed you as a person?

I think the biggest thing it has helped me change, or rather continuing to change, is how I take my losses. I was THE biggest loser. I can make excuses as to why, but that's all they are, excuses. Losing is losing. What I found out is that my coaches don't 'expect' me to win, I think they expect me to do my best, to leave everything out there on the mat. I am my hardest critic, and I'm learning to be a little softer on myself. I have to remember that there is always going to be someone out there that can beat me. Everyone can be beaten. 

What do you feel is your strongest position and favorite submission? What have you struggled with?

I'm still sorting out all those things. I love playing guard, but I currently love passing even more. My favorite submission is the step over arm bar from cross sides top. I've struggled with it all, and will continue to struggle, learn and roll through it. 

Now that competition season has died down a bit, what are you working on in the gym?

I'm working on a more effective guard game, trying to attack more rather then being so complacent. There's a lot of positions and postures on my to-do list that I'm trying to get sorted. Every time I see something new, I want to try it right away. Adding it to my game is another story, that takes time and patience. 

When did you first compete? Were you the type that won at every belt level or do you sometimes cringe at the thought of your older competitions?

My first competition was at a Sub League in Oregon, I won second out of a decent sized group of women. We were all lumped into one weight category. The only reason I lost was because I couldn't submit a giant women, it was awesome. I think I won a fair amount at white and blue, it became harder and harder as I advanced to other belts due to lack of competition in the Northwest. It became a big reality check when I went to compete at the World Championships. I thought I was the one that worked really hard and trained all the time. Nope. There are others that do the same. I haven't watched too many of my old videos, but when I do I slap myself in the face. 

A lot of people say that schools matter when it comes to competing. Do you think that it matters what school you attend, and why?  

I am SBG, my school matters to me because my coaches matter to me. They are my family. No offer anyone could ever give me would be better than what I have with this team. 

You have adhered to a lot of positive lifestyle choices, vegan-ism and straight edge to be specific. Why did you choose to live this way and how has it helped your training?

These choices are incredibly important to me. I grew up in the California hardcore scene and inevitably chose the Vegan Straight Edge lifestyle. I am, not because my friends were per say, but  because of the living situation I had to deal with growing up, and knew I NEVER wanted to make those same mistakes or hurt my friends and family the way my dad did. I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I don't do drugs. Now with that being said, 99% of the people I associate with do the opposite which is fine. I'm not here to judge, I don't preach about it. Deep down inside I'll always be that 16 year old kid with a lions pride. Vegan-ism on the other hand is strictly because I love animals, health reasons are lower on the totem pole. However in recent days I found out I was a Type 1 Diabetic due to a auto immune disorder. So being vegan has played an even bigger role in my life than I thought it would have (along with doing Jiu-Jitsu) 

What is your take on drilling and sparring? Do you believe that in order to be an elite level athlete you have to drill 3x a day?

I do both, I love to roll but understand I need to evaluate certain positions by drilling, and then adding honest resistance to see if it actually works. If all your doing is one movement with no resistance, theres no authenticity. I take what I can get, due to my booked teaching schedule. Sometimes I can only roll, and other times I can only take classes. The beautiful thing about SBG is that there's always a bit of drilling/rolling during classes so I can achieve both where I'm at. 

Were you an athlete growing up?

“Athlete” is pushing it. I played soccer from first  to eighth grade. My dad was the coach and pushed me really hard. I think I got MVP once out of those years. I did track for a while (mile relay runs, high jump, and long jump) The thing I loved most was riding my horse, and biking around the neighborhood. 

Do you think it is imperative for anyone serious about training BJJ to compete?

Absolutely not. People join the gym for different reasons, I believe that if they never compete once, that's totally fine. Though if someone does want to compete, we will support them 100% to make sure they have success. There are different aspects to Jiu-Jitsu, competing is just one of them. 

What do you feel is the most important attribute to take with you into competition?

Patience, and timing. 

Most people who train Jiu-Jitsu are huge nerds, but don’t like to admit it. How much of a BJJ nerd are you? Do you think about it obsessively?
I honestly think about it all the time. That may mean I'm thinking about imaginary matches I've never had before, or positions I want to work on. Or thinking about “what if I do this..” I wake up thinking about it, and go to bed thinking about it. It consumes me. 

What made you compete in the first place? 

Chris Stearns inspired me to compete. He would get me so pumped for a competition. 

How much of a priority is it in your life?

It's currently very important, I'm trying to create a resume that people will notice. I want to be able to do this a long time. I may not be able to compete forever but I know I can teach. Most people want a “big” name to bring to their gym. I'm trying to create that big name. They will know who I am whether it takes a year or ten years. I'm not going anywhere. 

How has teaching full-time helped your jiu-jitsu?

All I teach is fundamentals, therefore I do more fundamental jiu-jitsu. I'm not concerned with teaching my game (whatever that is) or the 70 different ways you can sweep someone from guard. Here at SBG we teach posture, pressure and possibilities. When people watch my matches I want them so say “wow, look at that posture.” 

What match has been the most significant in your career?

I'm not sure. When I lost my finals match at worlds I was heart broken. I made excuses as to why I lost like, “she was taking steroids”, “she was stalling”, and so on. So what if she did, or what if she was. Welcome to sport jiu-jitsu. I realize now that if I want to play that game I need to be the best. That match helped me open my eyes a bit. 

Which ones did you learn the most from?

I learn from my losses the most because those are the ones I remember. Wins are excellent, but I think we find we typically don't look back as to what we could have done better off of those matches. 

What advice would you give to women wanting to train BJJ? 

If you're going to do it, do it. You are going to face challenges. You are going to feel frustrated. You are going to be in a lot of really terrible positions for a really long time. Thats okay. Learn how to problem solve. Learn how to stay patient and focused. Train at a gym where you can succeed. Your coach should be supportive. Choose your rolls, and learn how to say 'no'. You don't have to roll with everyone. Don't avoid other women because your the only one at your gym and you’re afraid to lose. 

What can they do to improve their chances of making it to black belt?

Show up, train as consistently as you can. Don't get belt hungry, if thats the only thing your focused on you won't ever get there. Just enjoy the process, it’s forever. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Wherever SBG and bjj takes me that's where I'll be. 

I heard you were in a band, tell us a little about that.

Once upon a time, a long time ago I was in a hardcore band in California. It was awesome. 

What do you do for fun besides train?

I love riding my bike. Hanging out with my dogs. Reading fantasy books and watching crime shows. 

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Mind reader, because then I would know when people are actually being honest. 

Top 5 places in the world you would like to teach a seminar (vacation)?
Germany    South Africa
Finland       Sweden 
Hawaii 

To keep up with the latest on Amanda, follow her Facebook page here.