Friday, November 5, 2010

Updates...

After doing 8 months of jiu-jitsu I am finally back to the body I had back in 2006. Lean and fit. Since The Revolution Tournament is in a week and a half, I have really been training hard to lose weight and eat right. Here is a glimpse of what I eat daily.



Morning:
1/2 cup of oatmeal
2 cups of fruit

Afternoon varies:
Chicken Breast or hard boiled egg white
10 baby carrots
Lean body smoothie

Dinner:
Brown Rice
Squash
Onions
Chicken
Mushrooms
(I have about 3 cups of this mixture)

Snack:
Fruit or rice cake w/ almond butter (sorry mish)

This has worked well for me over the past couple of weeks, and has kept the pounds off. As of today, the scale shows that I weigh 177lbs. Abs are in full effect and I even lost a little weight off my face. Still not in perfect shape, but slowly I am getting there. Val let me borrow the Kinetic for my fixie, so I make sure I am on that thing daily with the sweatsuit to get rid of the excess water weight. I have also lowered my training days to mornings only and Sundays. This puts me at 5x a week rather than 7-8 which I didn't even realize I was doing, but my body sure has. Oh the pains.

I have officially decided that although I want to do a lot of competing I also want to get my teaching game up. Like everyone says, teaching will open up your game so much. To get that ball rolling I went to Micah and Andrew a couple of weeks and asked/begged/volunteered to help teach the kid's program at our school. As of now, it is a pretty small program but soon it will be sprawling with children and we'll have little jiu-jitsokas running around North Seattle choking fools. Ahh what a day that will be.

A little special thing I'm adding to my blog...belt promotions at the academy. They happen more often than we think and these people need to be "singled out" for their dedication to the sport of jiu-jitsu. So congrats to GB-Ballard's two newest blues: Dominic Campese and Rita B!!!

Like I said earlier, The Rev is coming up...November 13, 2010. I can't help but feel a lot of pressure for some reason. I signed up for both gi and no gi (no-gi...shaking in my gi) and I am hoping to finally win a competition, no matter how small it may be. I am close to the next level, I can feel it, but I seriously need to start putting shiet together because my game is extremely fragmented. I still do not know if I have my nerves under control yet either. I guess we will see. Dun-dun-duuun.

So I picked up a couple of DVDs this week; Andre Galvao's something or another, Jeff Glover's Deep Half Guard, and Demian Maia's Science of Jiu-jitsu. I have to say one thing that I hate is rushing through an instructional. It may take me weeks or months to finish one DVD. I do this because I like to train/drill one or two positions at the academy before moving on to the next. Your mind is not capable of memorizing a whole series in just 2 hours...so why try? I know I'm late to the instructional train, but Jeff Glover's DHG series is the business. I will be training a few techniques from the DVD to incorporate into my very infantile DHG game I have been trying to develop over the past month. Wish me luck.

It's very rare I casually talk on here, mainly because I love theory...but also because nothing special has really happened in my short stint in jiu-jitsu. Hopefully, once I start travelling and competing more often at the higher level I will have more to say. Thanks for reading.