Saturday, July 3, 2010

Are you developing a solid game?

As a white belt, you tend to look at things a little one-sided...even your own skill. So for awhile I was observing people while they roll and was wondering to myself, why hasn't so and so been promoted? I mean, they look like they could be a higher belt. As I began understanding the art a little more my eye changed, I started noticing that what I was seeing was a proficiency in one area, and a weakness in another...for example, a blue belt with high level submissions, but a guard game that was seriously lacking. I then realized why I thought the person was so much better, they had a one-sided game that they always defaulted too. This led to an immediate change in my game, because what I was noticing was "bad habits" and a slight "ego". Rather than resort to my comfy zone, I realized that I need to experiment and practice all facets of jiu jitsu even if I get passed and tapped every time. I feel that in order to properly represent my school and belt color, all my skills need to match my rank. I find that having this awareness of your skill initially is important if you ever want to evolve your jiu jitsu. Developing good solid habits, I believe, is the key to developing a good solid (balanced) Jiu-Jitsu game. Ciao!