Sunday, July 4, 2010

Is BJJ instinctual?

For some, I believe it is. I mean how else can you explain the different calibers in the jiu-jitsu world? Mat time? I doubt it. In the wild when an animal is just a baby there are two things that contribute to their survival...instinct and learned behaviors. For example, the Proboscis Monkey is born a proficient swimmer, but must learn how to swim across a crocodile infested river for its survival (i'm guessing fast, lol). So now I guess you're wondering, why the hell is this guy talking about monkeys? I'll tell you. I think the same theory can be applied to jiu-jitsu. Physical tools aside, some people are just made for the sport. I'm not saying that person can come in any gym and submit a black belt, but that person will be able to grasp the game better than the average student. The rest is learned behaviors (the techniques) that will allow him to progress. Some one once told me that, "everyone can't be good at jiu-jitsu". I believe this to be true, just like everyone can't be good at basketball. This is not a bad thing, as everyone should be able to enjoy the sport, but it still doesn't change the fact that for some people it just comes naturally and others it doesn't. I don't know if I proved anything, but I just wanted to bring up the point because it could be an interesting conversation at your gym...ciao!