Friday, October 29, 2010

Flow Diagrams are legit...

Click to enlarge

So I read this post that Rickson Gracie actually makes flow charts around certain positions (I found this information necessary to add to validate doing it.) So I decided to give it a try and see what happens. Basically what I did was try to think of all the positions, sweeps, and submissions I know and put them all into one diagram (of course everything is not on here, but you get the point). When I went to class tonight I decided to roll with the diagram in mind. I went through just about every position I know and in the end it resulted in me figuring out that there are some big gaps in my game. How I figured that out was in the midst of flowing I ended up almost being subbed and was put in a few bad positions.

What is so good about flow diagrams?

The big advantage already mentioned above is finding the gaps in your game. Being a white belt means that we do not have the technical aptitude of higher belts, thus making it hard to expand our knowledge on a day by day or week by week basis. This means that we are limited in what we do or can even attempt. Having a flow diagram allows you to actually think about everything you know, consolidate it into a little chart, study it, and execute...almost like a play. You can run this play over and over again and eventually you'll be able to find the holes or mistakes.

There are times when we are rolling with the higher belts and they keep submitting us over and over and over again, we ask them what we did wrong, and they have nothing for us. Having higher belts and professors are awesome, but take your training into your own hands! Only you can feel a pass or a submission. Knowing exactly what you are doing wrong, makes for better questions. Instead of "How did you submit me so fast?" your question could be "I noticed that when I was in spider guard you still managed to get my ankle for a ankle lock, how?". This is what I mean for finding the gaps in your game. Of course it may be more detailed than the example above, but I'm sure you get my drift!

Making a flow diagram requires you to dig deep into your brain and pull out positions and sweeps that you forgot about. This actually helps you because it is stuff you already know, but are no longer using in your bag of tricks. For example, if you had an armory in your basement filled with every weapon imaginable, why would you go to a gun fight with just a knife and some pepper spray???? So it makes total sense to actually think about your jiu-jitsu in this way every one in awhile. You don't want to be that guy that has to ask how to do a hip-bump sweep, do you? Probably not. Doing a flow diagram and arranging it into a game plan is like doing an inventory of your armory, and executing it is like making sure all your weapons fire when you need them to.

I've also noticed that in jiu-jitsu a lot of people do not have plans. They just roll. Today in class I really felt in control because I was consciously thinking ahead of my opponent. I felt this was a major breakthrough for me. I knew where I was going. I wasn't just walking aimlessly until I found something. I actually knew where I was going before my opponent could even figure out where he was. This is why the diagrams are so awesome. You know what you know. Putting them together only makes you a stronger player because its easy access. Have you ever been rolling and was like how the fuck did I end up in this position and where do I go from here?? I have and it sucks, because that is normally the time when your arm is being ripped off or you take a nap for some strange reason...I want my game to be a revolving door. I never want to be anywhere I'm not comfortable at. If I get out of position, I want to be able to start my game plan over just in a different sequence. Whew, ok I'm done rambling about that.

What did I learn today from this exercise:

1. I know way more than I thought.
2. There are areas where I can use a little tightening up.
3. Some moves I haven't used in awhile, so my timing is off.
4. My flow is better when it's organized and I'm thinking. I'm ahead of my opponent (most).
5. Details are uber-important.
6. Having a plan seems to work very well.