Wednesday, October 20, 2010

US Open results

So we had a team go down to Santa Cruz last weekend to compete in the 15th annual US Open, and boy was it fun. Not only did I get to see some of my Gracie Barra fam compete, I also was able to observe other high level blue belts on up to black compete as well. I learned so much in one weekend, and now realize why tournaments are key to the success of any jiu jitsu practitioner.

So I guess you're wondering about the results? Well to start, I did not do too hot. I won my first match and was elated even though I had to wait 2 hours for it. Immediately after that match I had my next one, with a gentleman that had a bye (bullshiet). Excuse me. So he was fresh as laundry out the dryer. In my first match I utilized guard (open/spider) most effectively and was able to pretty much stop any attack my opponent thought he was going to go. This did not happen in the second match. I talked to this guy afterwards, and he told me he watch my fight....so yeah, lol.

I pretty much wore myself out in the first match, and could only hold him my opponent off with my guard for a little while. I lost on points to make a long story short, and he went on to win second place. Tough luck, bad preparation is my only excuse. What I learned though is how hard I need to train and the shape that I need to be in in order to compete at that level again. Next up Pan Ams!!!

Overall, the rest of my team did well considering a lot of things. Two people, Michelle and Jeff were newly promoted to blue and purple belt, and although they lost their first matches...they performed well and stepped up to the challenge. Michelle still took third, boom. Nadir defeated two mortals in the Open division at blue belt, and then lost on points to Goliath. In his division, he lost via armbar. Brian took third also, but lost his first match against a guy that looked much bigger than him. Zach took third after beating one adversary and losing to the second. Nobody was able to see his first fight becuase he failed to tell anyone he was fighting. Go figure, lol. Tiffanie, WOW, took second...she has only been training for 1 week and murdered hoes. Can't wait till she has more time under her belt, she's gonna be nasty! It was a great experience, and I can't wait to do it again.

What I learned:

1. Competition shape is much different from academy shape.

2. Aggression is more important than one may think.

3. You will always be fighting a sav, no matter what belt level, at national competitions.

4. The camraderie in jiu-jitsu is probably the best part of it.

5. Have a variety of positions and techniques to work from.

6. Competition is a necessity. (my opinion)