Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything

Lately I have been pondering on the reason I do not win. I have been able to come up with a few reasons, and just want to write them down so I can keep myself on track.

Note: I do not want to win tournaments for fame or for medals, I want to win because it shows my improvement.

So here are some of my reasons:

1. Conditioning: Although I train 5-6x a week, I always seem to gas in my first match. I can roll for an hour straight in class, but can't even do 5 minutes when it really matters. I figured that I need some help in this area, because it doesn't make sense. When I gas I panic, and when I panic...I abandon technique. I hear so many people saying jiu-jitsu is all you need, but when you see the big dogs they are training like animals in and out of the gym.

2. Nerves: This plays with the mind and can affect heart. There were plenty of times where I was so nervous I literally could have broke out in tears because my body just couldn't take it anymore. Which led to me giving up before I even stepped foot on the mat.

3. Mat time: maybe I just haven't had enough mat time yet. In the gym, my reaction times are fairly quick, but that doesn't mean it will transfer over in a fight. I have had about 7.5 months of training, so I am still considered a baby in the sport.

4. Weight: I have had this theory that I am not strong enough for my weight class. At first, people just laughed at me as if it was a ridiculous statement, but eventually after seeing a few of my matches; they realized that my weight class is strong, I am not, and I'm not technical enough yet to combat strength. I am currently in the process of trying to get down a weight class or two.

5. Aggression: Something I am working on.

6. Confidence: (See mat time and nerves) Overall, I think this is my main problem. My mat time and low confidence directly effect my nerves during tournaments. I do not trust my technique to the point where I know I can use it when the time comes.

I love competition. When I get on the mat I feel something I have never felt before in my life...alive! I will improve all these areas gradually, and see what happens. When you lose a fight, you go back to the drawing board and you see where you made mistakes and which ones you can correct. These are things that I see as a consistent problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.