Monday, January 17, 2011

Magnet Jiu-Jitsu


As of late, jiu-jitsu has not been my number one priority, because I feel like I know enough general concepts, that I don't have to let it run my life...completely, lol. Yet, I can't help but have those nights where I cannot sleep because I have a multitude of ideas streaming through my head like Netflix. Sometimes I can no longer distinguish the difference between my ardor and obsession with BJJ, so I guess I won't try any longer. This morning's thought (that I must free from the asylum I call my mind) is magnet jiu-jitsu.

Over the last couple of weeks I have watched plenty of BJJ matches and noticed that a guy that "orbits" without remaining tight or establishing control first...never passes or maintains position (unless he is fast and athletic, but that only takes you so far). Now I know a lot of you may be wondering, what does he mean by orbit? Well, an orbiter is a guy that may be in contact with his opponent, but transitions very "loosely" and 9 times out of ten loses position. I see these guys chasing their opponent trying to pass looking very heliocentric, or trying to transition from position to position leaving enough space to rent out. This used to be me.

Now to help explain the concept that I had brewing in my mind, I am going to metaphorically use the magnet. Sure I could have used tape, glu-jitsu, or some other sticky material; but I like magnet, and you will see why in a minute. As we all know a magnet is an object that possesses the properties that allows it to attract to another object. What we also know about magnets, just by going to our refrigerator is that unlike glue and such, it can still move while in contact with the object. This movement is important in BJJ, because it you were glued to your opponent not only would it be messy but you wouldn't move.

Now unlike the orbiter, the magnet will not lose "close" contact with his opponent. The magnet will also ensure that every body part that is near his opponent remains tight, so tight that even the strongest (fastest or most flexible) of adversaries won't be able to relieve themselves of this force or pressure. When you are playing magnet jiu-jitsu your transitions from position to position can still be explosive, but the contact cannot change. For instance, if you are passing the guard your goal is to turn your opponent into a paraplegic (not literally, please). Due to your close proximity and overwhelmingly magnet-like tightness, your opponent is now dead in the water, and you can have your way with him. If you orbit with your arms all lose, with the base of a newborn calf...you will get swept or submitted.

As a magnet you use everything you can to stay close to your opponent. Has anyone ever used their head and shoulder to pin an arm you were trying to armbar? Magnet! Has anyone ever scooped both legs and flattened them out with your chest to pass? Maggggnneeeeeeeet! Almost every position in jiu-jitsu can be applied to this concept, yet we see so many people who can't apply the pressure from any position. Everything can be used, the more used the more effective you will be at it. Remember always stay tight and control your opponent...be that weirdo in the gym that seems like he's hugging everyone while rolling. It will work. Below is a perfect example of Magnet jiu-jitsu...Sebastian gives this guy 0 space.