Sunday, March 18, 2012

New Kids on the Block: Bryan Marugg




The Stats

Name: Bryan Marugg
Age: 19
Belt: Purple
Weight class: Lightweight
Length of training time: 6.5 years
From: Newberg, Oregon
Nicknames: Beast
Affiliation: Impact Jiu-Jitsu

Accomplishments:

2012
San Francisco Open Purple Belt Light Champion

2011
Arizona Open Adult Purple Belt Absolute Champion
US Open Adult Purple Belt Light Champion
American Cup Adult Purple Belt Light Champion

2010
IBJJF Pan Jiu-Jitsu Medalist Adult Blue Belt Light (Silver)
US Open Adult Blue Belt Light Champion

2009
IBJJF Pan Jiu-Jitsu Medalist Juvenile Blue Belt Light and Absolute (Bronze)

5x Oregon Open Gold medalist
5x Revolution Gold Medalist
Featured in GracieMag issue #169

Journey Jiu-Jitsu: At what age and how did you start training jiu-jitsu?

Bryan Marugg: I started training when I was 13 years old. I was a little trouble maker hanging with the wrong crowd, and my uncle and cousin introduced me to our local jiu-jitsu academy. Then the journey began!

JJJ: When did you first realize you wanted to be a competitor? What was the trigger that made you step up your training routine?

BM: After I competed in my first jiu-jitsu tournament when I was three months into training. I was amazed by it all, the adrenalin rush, the nerves, the joy or sadness and all. I always took my losses very hard, as I have always been very competitive. After my first time at Pan Ams in 2009, I really became a serious competitor. It changed my life and my all around view of jiu-jitsu. Since then, competing in all the national tournaments has been my life.

JJJ: How does your family feel about your training regimen? How have they helped you?

BM: My family is very encouraging and supportive. They have always helped me when I've had rough times in the art, and dealt with the emotional roller coaster that every competitor goes through. They come to as many tournaments as they can to watch and support. My mom even flew down to watch me in the 2010 Pans.

JJJ: How has jiu-jitsu changed your life?

BM: Jiu-jitsu has made me the person I am today. I've become more confident person, and all around happier.

JJJ: How would you classify your game? What trait/attribute makes you a strong competitor?

BM: I would like to think of my jiu-jitsu game being very versatile, and having the ability to adapt to many different situations and styles. I don't play a ton of crazy positions, for I am a fan of the basics. Every once in a while I like to throw a little flash in there.

JJJ: What is your daily routine like, from sun up to sun down?

BM: Wake up. Go to the academy and either do my strength and conditioning or technique/ positional sparring training. Then I go to school usually, rest, and do Homework. Later on, I head back to the gym to teach and train for another 2-3 hours. After that I go home and eat, study jiu-jitsu on Youtube, SLEEP, and wake up to do it all over again!

JJJ: What are you thinking the moment you step out on the mats before competing?

BM: I always go into a match as calm as possible so that I can let my technique flow. I'm not into listening to crazy music and getting pumped up. I like to stay focused and calm. I try not to dwell or think too much about my next opponent. Only that they are human and that they can be beaten.

JJJ: A lot of people say that schools matter when it comes to competing at a high level. You have had success in tournaments despite not being from a big box school. What is your take on the subject?

BM: I hear about this all the time. Many people are school hoppers, trying to find the right fit. I'm not into burning bridges. I always try to think about how good my team is for me and how I owe all my success to them. I've been lucky enough finding a fantastic family and academy. You don't have to train in these huge big name schools to be good. My coaches are fantastic, caring, and very knowledgeable about what I need to be successful. So I wouldn't worry about finding a big name academy, just for the name. Find an academy that fit you best.

JJJ: You hear a lot of elite fighters speaking about training 3-4 times a day, eating clean, and avoiding many other vices. How true is this for you?

BM: Very true. As a teenager, I love eating junk food, but when it comes to tournament season I make sure to eat a lot cleaner, and live a healthier lifestyle. I am a fan of training 2-4 times a day if you done right. There's a very fine line between over training and peaking at the right point. Many find themselves under training or over training. If you think about a professional in any field, they devote as much time as they can to be the best. Jiu-jitsu is no different. I consider myself training if my mind has jiu-jitsu on it....which is 24 hours a day.

JJJ: How important is positional sparring and drilling to you? How often do you do it?

BM: I try to do both every day. Rolling is fun, but I believe that you need to have as many repetitions in as you can. It is also crucial to put those techniques in use during live rolls, slow rolls and positional sparring.

JJJ: What are your goals for this year, and what competitions will you be competing at?

BM: My main goal is Pan Ams at the moment; then Worlds after that. With that being said I go into all tournaments with the same goal in mind, go for the gold. I would also like to become a better student and coach for our academy. I will be doing Pan Ams, Worlds, San Francisco Open, U.S. Open, maybe the Asian Open or European Championships. I also compete in many local tournaments.

JJJ: Do you think it is imperative for anyone serious about training jiu-jitsu to compete?

BM: I really do. I think it is crucial to compete. It gives you the opportunity to go at a pace that you can’t reach in the academy, and a chance to roll with people with a wide variety of styles. For me, whenever I have a loss in jiu-jitsu, it always kicks me into high gear for the next tournament. It's not the case for everyone, but I have learned a ton from all of my losses.

JJJ: We all know that a good foundation and start is important in any endeavor you take on. What advice would you give to the kid or teenager starting jiu-jitsu for the first time?

BM: I would tell them not to act like what they see on the Ultimate fighter! Go into the academy with a positive attitude and get ready to lose and learn. Many new members come into schools with the thought that they want to be a fighter or that they are going to win or prove themselves on the first day. Stay positive and most importantly have fun. Jiu-jitsu is such a great art and can teach you a lot on and off the mat!

JJJ: When the going gets tough what is your go to submission or position?

BM: Guard or mount.

JJJ: Favorite activity outside of the gym?

BM: I love to be outdoors. Fishing, camping, or just hanging with friends or my girlfriend.

JJJ: Favorite food?

BM: My favorite food has to be sushi! In the off season, I may eat a little junk food.

JJJ: If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

BM: Well I have never left the west coast, besides Arizona and Idaho. I love California, and after I visit Hawaii, it might be there.

JJJ: Who is your inspiration?

BM: Marcelo Garcia, Rodolfo Vieira, and Andre Galvao. Of course my team and my family have and will always be my biggest inspiration.