Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Art of Frugality


You are up on points in a match...you pass your opponents guard for the third time racking up another 3 points. As you land in side control you very hastily (without your opponent even giving it to you) attempt an armbar. You watch in slow motion as your opponent escapes the armbar with ease, reverses you and before you know it you are being choked out...the score was 15 you 0 him. What in the fuck just happened?

My mom used to tell me growing up when I would spend my allowance that "that money burned a hole in your pocket!"...for those of you that don't understand this, it means that as soon as she gave me a little cash I spent it immediately, most of the time on nonsense. I never saved it for something bigger and better, nor did I care to think that far ahead. Usually the things I purchased were not of quality, but hey at least it was something, and something is better than nothing...right? Wrong! I see this same thing happen in jiu-jitsu all the time, only rather than actual currency its a position or submission that's burning a hole in your pocket.

Just like the moms in the grocery stores penny pinching, cutting coupons, and bargain hunting...as practitioners of the gentle art we should practice the same principle, I call this the "art of frugality".

Often times we get too excited when we are rolling and we hunt for submission after submission after submission. It is instinctual, and sometimes we can't help it...I know I sure as hell can't. In the animal kingdom it is called going for the kill, but if it is not timed correctly and executed with precision then the only thing that ends up happening is you blowing your load and your opponent wiping the sweat from his brow. I call these "phew" moments, because that's exactly what your opponent said in his head as he narrowly escaped a submission.

The goal as I said earlier is to practice the art of frugality. Do not be wasteful in your movements, and do not give your opponent anything for free. Be methodical in your rolling and wait till you find that bargain you were looking for. Majority of submissions come from successfully blocking and shutting down all your opponents reasonable options, until finally they do something terribly idiotic...then you move. Think about it, comments are welcome. Thanks for reading!