Monday, November 21, 2011

Hard work makes a fearless heart


My last tournament I competed in I was literally shitting bricks. I walked in the venue at least a pound overweight and weighed in at 190 with the gi, lol. I tried to keep a calm demeanor, but inside I felt a fear that I have experienced only a few times in my life...and usually it involved some sort snarling animal running behind me or a bully getting ready to pound my face in. My first match I went in the ring so scared that I literally told myself I wanted this to be over as soon as possible...I was choked unconscious within a minute. The next two matches I did fairly well in, but that was not good enough for me, it is my nature to analyze...and I desperately needed to know why my skill in the gym and in my mind does not translate in tournaments. 

So I asked a few close friends, and they all gave me the same answer, that it was all mental. 

No Shit.

So I realized that only I know me, and therefore I was the only one who could figure it out. I needed to take my own advice, because it had to be something deeper! I began to think of my childhood and attending church every Sunday, and I remembered a little word called faith that gave people the utmost confidence that there life was going to turn out well. The preacher said that with faith a man could move mountains. But how does this apply to jiu-jitsu? 

When you step onto the mats to compete you have to believe you can win, that is number one. Till this day I still feel inadequate, and I feel like I am never good enough. I have no faith in myself (that is changing). And if you don't believe in yourself, who else will?

As I began to take this concept along with the knowledge of my shortcomings further I looked to current world champions for inspiration and ideas...and what I found that many of them have that I lack is a work ethic like no other. That was the key.

Hard work makes a fearless heart.

Why is it that a world champion is a champion in the first place? Because when he walks out to meet his opponent he believes deep down inside that this man has not worked harder than him and therefore does not deserve to continue. He is fearless, confident in his ability, and knows that the hours that he put on the mat will not be in vain.

My work ethic is good for the gym. If I want to be a gym hero, I should continue to train as I do...just enough to scrape by. However, if I want to be great than I should exceed my limits, train like a mad person, and want to win more than I want to breath so that when tournament day comes I will fear no man...because I know I will be capable of destruction. It's time I stop being a sugar bear. 

"Sometimes you only get one chance to be great at something, don't let fear stifle you!"