Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ask A Champ: Sebastian Brosche

The Stats

Age: 27
Belt: Brown
Weight class: Medium
Length of training time: 1990 Judo, 2008 BJJ
From:  Lapland, Sweden
Nicknames:  The Magician from the North
Affiliation:  Frontline Academy
Sponsors:  Mom, Dad and my Girlfriend

2011

IBJJF European Open Purple Belt Medium Heavy Champion
Abu Dhabi Pro Trials London Purple Belt Medium Heavy Champion

2010

IBJJF European Open Blue Belt Medium Heavy Champion
IBJJF Mundial Purple Belt Medium Heavy and Absolute Champion

2008

IBJJF European Open White Belt Middle Champion

Journey Jiu-Jitsu: At what age and how did you start training Jiu-Jitsu? 

Sebastian Brosche: Age 23. My back got injured badly from the hard Judo practice I used to do. BJJ is gentler to your body, and when I realized that, and at the same time experienced how fun BJJ really was, it was not going back.
I converted completely from Judo to BJJ in 2008.

JJJ: Did you compete in Judo?

SB: Yes, I competed a lot. I never won a big tournament. I was a bit too weak in the upper body, which is very bad in Judo, and I never had a good game or game plan. 

I trained often and hard, but never had any structure in my training and I never got really good.

JJJ: How did you first take to BJJ training? Explain some of the initial highs and lows you had.

SB: Getting into Judo when I was 7 was a great choice of my mother.  I am sure I would have gotten diagnosed with ADD if it wasn’t for judo! 

Converting to BJJ was easy, I was fed up with the points and rules of judo, and even more so with the attitude of many competitors. 

BJJ was relaxed and casual, and at the same time very profound and serious. My highs were that I had a very good foundation from judo, so I learned all the new techniques very fast. The big problem was UN-learning all the things specific for judo; mainly turning my back to my opponent! It took me at least two years to understand how bad it is to do that!

JJJ: How is your training environment in Norway? Do you look at it as an advantage or disadvantage living there? Do you feel it’s necessary to travel in order to expose yourself to better training?

SB: We have a very good environment for BJJ at Frontline in Oslo. A lot of hard work has made this academy a treasure for serious practitioners. I do not find it necessary to travel to get tougher sparring, although it is always nice to broaden the horizon and see other places from time to time.

JJJ: How has Jiu-Jitsu changed you as a person, both mentally and physically?

SB: BJJ makes me humble. As long as I get my ass kicked, it keeps my ego small and my sense of reality sharp. Physically BJJ is both good and bad. I get pain everywhere from hard sparring, but I keep in very good shape.

JJJ: How has judo helped your jiu-jitsu?

SB: On several levels judo is great for my BJJ. Being used to the gi, breaking grips, power and resistance in my forearms, and economy of gripping. 

Posture and balance is also something that you develop well in Judo. Another thing is the ability to let go of the position when the referee stops the fight and start over, which happens many times in a judo match. This is helpful in BJJ, where it can be frustrating to let go of a good position because the referee stops the fight.

JJJ: You mentioned that you have been doing a lot of yoga lately. How did you get into that and how has it helped your jiu-jitsu? 

SB: Since I met Stine I have been doing yoga almost every day! In the start it was difficult and impossible to do many of the basic positions. Gradually my core got stronger, my hips shoulders and legs loosened up, and my posture improved. Now I find it easy to lift up to handstand and stay there. All transitions are smoother and my breathing is very different from before.
I think that if you want to practice BJJ for a long time it is very important to take care of your body.  When you do Yoga it rejuvenates, heals and strengthens you. 

I had a long break from sparring, and now that I am back I feel stronger, faster and above all smoother and more economic with my power than ever before! 


JJJ: What do you feel is your strongest position and favorite submission? What have you struggled with? 

SB: Favorite position: North south Figure 4. Awesome position! Fav sub: Rear Naked Choke
I have struggled a lot with relaxation during competition and hard sparring. In Judo you only have 5 minutes to win the fight, and they pass in what seems to be 30 seconds! 

In BJJ you have much more time to do what you want, but this have taken me long to understand, and I still work on relaxing and taking my time.

 JJJ: What positions are you working on now?

SB: Passing deep half guard, and not ending up in some funky de la riva/lasso variation. We have some magicians in our academy, and I am working hard to keep up!

JJJ: When did you first compete? 

SB: First competition in BJJ was European championships as white belt 2008. (Sebastian won that year btw)

JJJ: You managed to win Euro's at blue belt in the same year you won Mundials at purple. That's a huge leap. What contributed to your success that year?

SB: I think I was very fed up with loosing from Judo.

For over 19 years I lost more than I won. 

I actually signed up for the competition as a blue belt, and a couple of weeks before the tournament my teacher graduated me to purple. This clearly demonstrated that he had belief in me, and I wanted to make him proud and win regardless of the belt color.

JJJ: Everyone has an equation for success. What are some of the factors that contribute to your success? 

SB: My Teacher said the other day: “Do not seek success, but strive for excellence” If you are successful, then you reached your goal and you are done. Instead of thinking “I want to be the best”, I like to think “I want to get better”. Just a little bit better every time I train. A journey of 10,000 miles is done one step at a time. As long as you keep on doing what you do with awareness and strive to get better; there are no obstacles or enemies or problems, you will overcome all. ^_^

JJJ: You have a very aggressive and energetic style, which must use up a lot of cardio. How do you get in shape for tournaments? 

SB: With lots of hard sparring and circular training. Last Mundials I did 5 trainings of very hard circular training, 2 rounds of 7 minutes (30sec x 14 exercises) with 100% intensity. This was much tougher than the actual fights in the competition. I even thought in the final of my weight class when the guy had me in his closed guard: “This is nothing compared to those crazy sessions”

JJJ: A lot of people say that schools matter when it comes to competing. Do you think that it matters what school you attend, and why?

SB: If you mean the name or logo of your academy then, no. Of course it matters what people you surround yourself with, and the attitude and moral of your teacher.  In my experience, ego is bad for competition and humbleness is good. Go for a school with a consistent approach to training and avoid schools that compete and compare themselves with the neighboring academy.

JJJ: You hear a lot of elite fighters speaking about training 3-4 times a day, eating clean, and avoiding many other vices. How true is this for you? What does your average training day look like? 

SB: I do not use poison like tobacco, weed and alcohol. I eat mostly vegetarian, nuts & berries and drink lots of fresh juice. I train Yoga every day and spar 3-4 times a week.  Speaking of average days of training, I highly recommend recording all your training sessions online. Nothing is better than honest, self recorded statistics. Since I started BJJ I have recorded every session of training online, and the graphs never lies! Together with a film camera, the online journal is the tool that has helped me the most in my development.

JJJ: Do you drill? If so, how important do you think it is to training jiu-jitsu?     
     
SB: 5-10 repetitions are not enough o learn a technique well enough to make it work in sparring. When you are sick of repeating it, do it for another 10 minutes. Breakthroughs only happen when you are outside your comfort zone, and being lazy is surely inside your comfort zone. Drill to make it stick!

JJJ: One thing that makes jiu-jitsu unique from a lot of other sports is extreme effort takes you a long way and physical attributes seem to not matter so much. Do you agree with this, and just how hard did you work to get where you are today?  

SB: When you look back at all the dishes you have washed in your life, it seems like a huge mountain of dishes, right? It was never a mountain though, just a few plates and glasses every day. There is no extreme effort involved in training. Just continue to push yourself a little past your limits, and you will be greater than you could ever imagine.  

JJJ: What do you feel is the most important attribute to take with you into a competition?

SB: If you manage to meditate for just one minute before your fight, you are better off than most of your opponents. Meditation is the original purpose for all martial arts; the more you practice the longer you can meditate. If you can get distance from your ego and mind, you are well prepared for your competition.

JJJ: What made you start competing in the first place? How much of a priority is it in your life?

SB: Competition is the next level of practice. You know for sure that there are no excuses, and everyone who shows up is there to win it. Competitions give you a rhythm in your training; you train hard to win it, and you get a lot to work on and think about after it is over.  

Since I won the worlds in 2010, I don’t worry about medals anymore. I do it because I love it and that’s all!

JJJ: How did you develop your unorthodox and unpredictable style?

SB: By trial, error, and skateboarding. 

Like I said; I have never had a plan or structure, so I experiment and try different things until something works. I also have pretty good stamina, so when something fails I try again and again, and then try the next thing and then another thing until something works.
When I watch my own fights it looks like a blur, just chaos! But it works in the end, because I put a lot of effort into understanding that chaos.

Oh, skateboarding too! Skateboarding is one of the best tools there is to practice patience and persistence.

It is similar to BJJ, with an endless amount of tricks and techniques. My Judo game and skateboarding style developed together as a teenager and I think that is where I got my unorthodox style from! Hahaha ^_^

JJJ: Would you say you were obsessed with jiu-jitsu in the beginning? What was the one thing you loved about it? 

SB: Yes I was. I downloaded instructional DVD’s and learned some Portuguese. I even grappled in my sleep. The one thing I loved about BJJ was that it worked. The principles in BJJ are sound, and it makes perfect sense when you experience it for yourself.

 JJJ: What matches have been significant in your career? Which ones did you learn the most from?

SB: The ones I lost.

JJJ: How do you mentally prepare for tournaments? 

SB: I try not to worry about the outcome. I prepare my game, conditioning and diet, and put all my awareness into that. And I try to smile the whole time!

JJJ: What formula would you give to anyone wanting to place at a major competition?

SB: There is no formula. Just be consistent and take responsibility instead of making excuses.

JJJ: A new year has started, meaning a new year of grappling competitions will commence. What are your goals for this year and what tournaments do you plan to compete in?

SB: Win Finnish Open in purple-brown-black to get the ticket to LA, and then win the World Championships with my girlfriend Stine.

JJJ: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

SB: 10 years from now I want to be happy and at peace with everything.

JJJ: Who is your biggest inspiration?

SB: In the beginning my idol was Leo Vieira. His style and attitude amazed me. Today I get inspiration everywhere; from videos and books, from playing around on the mat, from hard sparring.

JJJ: What do you feel is your biggest accomplishment in Jiu-Jitsu? 

SB: My biggest accomplishment is the small things I learn along the way. To be nice to people, to stay humble, that life is not to take for granted. The friendships and lessons from life is an accomplishment in itself, bigger than any gold medal.

JJJ: What places have you traveled to train?

SB: I lived in Hungary and Portugal when I trained Judo, and I have been to England, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, USA and Brazil to train BJJ.

JJJ: What do you do for fun besides train?

SB: I like to practice Yoga because it is great fun. To longboard is also pure joy for me.  I enjoy very much a day in the park or the forest, doing nothing.

JJJ: Who are your favorite female and male competitors?

SB: I don’t have any. 

JJJ: What do you do for a living?

SB: I am a Yoga Instructor! In the beginning it was far outside my comfort zone, but it turns out it fits me very well and I am happy to have a job that can both support and help develop me. 

See Sebastian's website here YogaUniao