Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New Kids on the Block: Chad Shaule

The Stats

Born: March 9, 1990
Belt: Blue
Weight Class: Medium Heavy
Length of training time: 2 1/2 years
From: Mississauga, Ontario
Nicknames: Gordinho
Affiliation: Gracie Barra Vancouver
Sponsors: Roll Adapt Win

2012 


IBJJF Mundials: May 2012 Los Angeles, CA

* 3rd place Blue Belt 194.5lbs


IBJJF Spring International Open: May 2012 Long Beach, CA
*1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs, 1st place Absolute


CBJJF BC Provincials: May 2012 Langley, BC
*1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs, 1st place Absolute

IBJJF Pan Championship: April 2012 Irvine, CA

* 2nd place Blue Belt 194.5lbs


The Revolution: March 2012 Bonney Lake, WA
* 1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs


CBJJF Grapplers Inc: February 2012 Langley, BC
* 1st place Blue Belt 207.5lbs
* 1st place Blue Belt Open Weight


 2011

The Revolution: November 2011 Bonney Lake, WA
* 1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs


CBJJF BC Open: November 2011 Surrey, BC
* 1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs
* 1st place Blue Belt Open Weight


Western Canadian Martial Arts Championship: October 2011 Burnaby, BC
* 1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs
* 1st place Blue Belt Open Weight
* 1st place Advanced No-Gi 188.5lbs


Revolution BC Championships: September 2011 Langley, BC
* 1st place Blue Belt 181.0lbs


Copa Ontario: August 2011 Toronto, Ont.
* 3rd place Blue Belt 181.0lbs


Kombat Classic: May 2011 Mississauga, Ont.
* 1st place Blue Belt 181.0lbs


Revolution BC Championships: April 2011 Langley, BC
* 1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs
* 2nd place Blue Belt Open Weight


West Coast Submission Championships: March 2011 Richmond, BC
* 1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs


2010

Revolution BC Championships: September 2010 Langley, BC
* 1st place Blue Belt 194.5lbs


Toronto Open: August 2010 Toronto, Ont.
* 1st place White Belt 194.5lb


Revolution BC Championships: May 2010 Langley, BC
* 1st place White Belt 194.5lbs


W.O.M.A.A Tiger Balm Internationals: March 2010 North Vancouver, BC
* 3rd place White Belt 194.5


Revolution BC Championships: February 2010 Langley, BC
* 1st place White Belt 194.5lbs


 
Journey Jiu-Jitsu: At what age, and how did you start jiu-jitsu?

Chad Shaule: I was 19. I became interested in MMA and watching UFC so I decided to try kickboxing and learn jiu-jitsu rather then just being a fan and not knowing what exactly was going on.

JJJ: How did you first take to jiu-jitsu? What were some of the challenges you faced?

CS: At first I hated it because the gi would be so heavy and uncomfortable and I would get beat up by people smaller than me. I wanted to quit after a month but then I started feeling slight improvements and became addicted. I would sit in lectures at school just thinking about armbars and triangles.

JJJ: When did you first realize you wanted to be a competitor? What was the trigger that made you step up your training routine?

CS: I have competed in hockey, basketball and football my whole life at a high level so I have always been a competitive person. It was boring training to just have fun so I decided to enter my first tournament and felt like I had more motivation. I also noticed the fame that some of my teammates got after they won tournaments and I wanted some of that.

JJJ: How has jiu-jitsu changed your life?

CS: I had a lot of friends that began doing drugs, drinking all the time and committing crimes so I had to decide whether or not to follow them or lead my own healthy and clean lifestyle and jiu-jitsu definitely helped me with making the correct decision.

JJJ: How would you classify your game? What trait/attribute makes you a strong competitor?

CS: "Derruba, passa e pega!!" haha I like to take down, pass guard and submit! When I compete I like to smother my opponents and play a basic game with a lot of pressure. I think the trait/attribute that makes me a strong competitor is my focus on the fundamentals of jiu-jitsu. Nothing too flashy.

JJJ: What is your jiu-jitsu lifestyle? Describe a day in the life of Chad.

CS: I live with three Brazilians who all train and compete in jiu-jitsu (blue belt, brown belt and black belt) so I am always surrounded by the positive energy of jiu-jitsu even when I am at home. I wake up in the morning and go to school, then train, then go home to nap and do some home work, then train again followed by a strength and conditioning session, and then return home to eat a healthy dinner and watch jiu-jitsu videos with my roommates/ teammates. We even have grappling mats in our living room.

JJJ: What are you thinking the moment you step out on the mats before competing?

CS: I find myself pretty calm when I take to the mats before a fight because I can just about guarantee that my opponent does not train as often, as hard or has made as many sacrifices as I had. I am always thinking about the game plan that my professor constructed for me.

JJJ: How important is positional sparring and drilling to you? How often do you do it?

CS: Positional sparring and drilling is very important to me. I drill six days a week with one of my coaches who designed a drilling program that covers every position. Even when I don't have a partner I do individual exercises for hip mobility and memory. I also make sure to get in positional sparring sessions because it is important to put yourself into bad positions that you might not be in when you are just normal rolling.

 JJJ: Seems like you have an amazing support system. How have the people that have supported you over the years contributed to your success?

CS: I receive a lot of support from my friends and family because they know what my goals and dreams are in jiu-jitsu. They send me messages of encouragement and motivation and show up to my tournaments to support me whenever they get the chance. Right now my family is on the other side of the country, but luckily they were able to stream my fights at the Pans and cheer me on despite being a few time zones away.

JJJ: What do most competitors overlook in training?

CS: I think competitors focus too much on strength training and learning advanced positions that they see high level black belts perform. There should be more focus on solidifying a fundamental game first, especially for white, blue and purple belts. Patience is key.

JJJ: What are 2 things people may not know about you?

CS: I have absolutely no interest in video games and used to have a shoe collection of over 20 pairs of Air Force 1s and Jordans until I sold them all and now I only own 2 pairs of shoes.

JJJ: Favorite activity outside of jiu-jitsu?

CS: I like long boarding, watching movies, going to the beach and having a good time with my friends.

JJJ: Future plans for BJJ?

CS: I want to be recognized as the best Canadian grappler by winning numerous IBJJF World Championships at different belt levels. After I make a name for myself I would like to eventually open up my own academy.

JJJ: If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

CS: The Big Island of Hawai’i by a long shot. I have family there, it is not too busy or commercialized like some of the other islands, it has a good jiu-jitsu culture, and oh yeah, its beautiful!

JJJ: Favorite submission?

CS: Simple cross-choke from full-mount. I love the feeling of tapping someone out from the top and then standing up while my opponent just lies there thankful that the fight is finally over.

JJJ: Who is your inspiration? What keeps you going to the academy?

CS: My professors Rodrigo Carvalho, and Tim Shears inspire me. Rodrigo is a respected World Champion and great instructor on and off the mats and always pushes me to progress in life and improve every aspect of my jiu-jitsu game. Tim Shears inspires me because he can be credited for the growth of jiu-jitsu in Western Canada and has provided me, along with hundreds or even thousands of Canadians the opportunity to live this amazing jiu-jitsu lifestyle.