Monday, March 18, 2013

The Loop Method

Ever since I started teaching fundamentals a few months ago, I have been obsessed with ways to help newer students learn better, in a much more efficient manner. In order for me to accomplish this, I first needed to observe and learn what was inhibiting new students from "getting it.”

Essentially, I had to monitor the students in my classes, and discern certain things. After paying some attention, it dawned on me that all new students responded to attacks in the same way...horribly. When I think about when I first started jiu-jitsu, I remember a few things...I sucked, for one, but I also fought too much rather than use technique that I did know. I was always kicking someone in the nose, exposing my arm, slapping someone in the face, kneeing people in the junk...all kinds of white belt nonsense.

Now, it occurred to me that there may be a way to teach someone to use proper technique, suppressing the fight or flight response as much as possible. I call it the Loop Method. Now, I don't profess to have invented this, but I did come up with the idea independently.

In short, the Loop Method takes a series of techniques that flow together naturally and loops them together in a logical sequence. Basically, if someone was to pass my guard, I would >frame>escape>turtle up>sit back to guard. For a beginner, I think this is an awesome method to use while rolling because it completely smashes the "I don't know what to do" logic (if you have been training for 2 or more months, you know something). It allows the student to use what he or she knows, and motivates them to constantly attempt (drill) those positions over and over.

Be mindful this will not work the first time, and you will get mounted, submitted, and squashed...but eventually after trial and error you will become proficient at your first loop. After attaining a proficient status, you can add more loops or variations into your current loop to explore new movements or positions from there.

I have always wondered why someone who has been training for two or so months only does two things: attempt to submit opponents far better than them or fight for dear life (to the point where they injure their opponent or look like a flailing idiot). Use technique, and if you don't know something...ask. In the meantime, see if the loop method works for you.